Current legislation in Greece according to Article 47 N.2071/1992 covers the civil rights of citizens in the event of hospitalization.
- The patient has the right to the appropriate hospital services and care according to his condition and disease.
- The patient has the right to healthcare with respect to human dignity. This involves not only the general aspect of medicine and nursing, but also paramedical services, suitable accommodation, appropriate treatment and effective administrative and technical services.
- The patient has the right to refuse any diagnostic or therapeutic procedure. In case of a patient with partial or complete mental incapacity, his next of kin or any other person that by law is acting on the patient’s behalf, can exercise this right.
- The patient has the right to be informed for anything that concerns his medical condition. The patient has the right to receive all the information that he needs to provide an informed consent for any proposed procedure of treatment. This information should include the risks and benefits of the proposed actions, on the medical, social and economical aspect of the patient’s life as for him to be able to decide.
- The patient has the right to be informed and have a thorough explanation about his participation in any clinical trials or other experimental treatment. The clinic must provide written information about the clinical trial and the patient has to provide a written consent. The patient has the right to refuse any cooperation for any research purposes and should feel comfortable and free to do so. The patient also has the right to withdraw at anytime from the clinical trial even if he has already signed a consent form.
- The patient has the right to privacy and confidentiality of all his medical information and records.
- The patient has the right to be treated with respect to his religious and ideological beliefs.
- The patient has the right to complain to any appropriate authority about the quality of healthcare and services and be informed about the course of action and results of his complaint.